One Month

3:14:00 PM

time flies.
anyway, instead of being all grandmom nostalgic today, I'll post a link to something that super challenged me on the sr high retreat (did I even mention I went on that???) last weekend:


Holiness Before Happiness by A.W. Tozer


This is something that always is a struggle for me and I think a root in a lot of my anxiety. A lot of the time, I wake up everyday trying to pursue my (constitutional right of) happiness. But doesn't the Bible talk about those who seek their life will lose it? Honestly, I need my mind renewed everyday, because it's such a worldly mindset that has snuck into my life to pursue my own happiness. It can be really subtle too. I think we can do it in our devotions- look for things in the Word that make us "feel" good when really God is looking to purify our lives- so that we can have true happiness that is only found in Him. Joy. In the midst of fires. Joy that comes from being purified. From holy living. Yikes. But I struggle because I want to feel happy right now. I don't want to feel uncomfortable, or feel pain, or feel depressed, or feel sad...I want to feel happy. But faith is knowing that there is joy- and an eternal happiness that comes from holiness. "In Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore" (Psalm 16:11). 

"And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:
   3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.   4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.   5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.   6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.   7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.   8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.   9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.   10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.   11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:2-11

You Might Also Like

0 comments