Another Long Night at the E.R.

1:12:00 AM

Is it wrong to laugh in the E.R.??? I always wonder that after I've let out a long, hearty (and always loud...my laugh is never not!) one. I mean, my mom and I love the free nestle machines...and Take 5's...mmmmm...I enjoyed a latte and a mocha this evening...and I even introduced a new-bee to the ways of the E.R. waiting room to the pleasures within. I mean, let's share the freedom (get it...pun on the free...hahahahah) of the delicious hot cocoa and coffee!

Alas...somehow I always end up at the hospital or in some other lame predicament after a really good day or weekend or something. I think it's because God gives us what we can handle, and He's also so faithful to provide a fresh filling or a fresh blessing or a fresh reminder of His goodness and power and strength...and then we do this crazy thing where we say, "God, I trust you with my life and do what you will..." which is often followed by Him doing what He will...and His ways are sooo much higher and His thoughts are above Mine own...Thank God (literally!)

So I had the most amazing Tues- Wednesday down at the shore (Jersey!! woo hoo!) with my friend Julianne visiting one of our wonderful woman mentors, Mrs. Teichman, aka Regis's mom...which is really funny because i was friends with Regis's mom before I was friends with Regis. They have a trailer down the shore and we spent the night/day/night fellowshipping with believers from Calvary Chapel Southern Ocean County (which was recently had a pastoral change to- guess who? Mark, a pastor from Calvary York!)and chilling on the beach (or burning on the beach...whichever) and learning to surf (i know- could you ever picture me even trying that...trying was definitely the word...or drowning...whichever! -I'm feeling a little unabsolutist today with my "whichevers") and being totally blessed in the Word and in prayer and in food and in fellowship (we went to a fellowship at one family's home who run a Surf Camp every summer as a ministry- they're the ones who taught us how to surf. They have a Wednesday Night Bible Study which is led by none other than Chad Reeves, my CCBCY peer...and it is such a totally blessed fellowship).

And so coming home, God really gave me new energy to keep going. And boy do I always need it.

So today my grandmom fell in her bedroom (tripped over the carpet) and so after awhile she was in a lot of pain. My mom and I decided to take her up to the E.R. to get her checked out. They think that her rotary cuff may be torn and we'll find out from the orthopedic doctor with a follow up. You always just end up having to wait 5 hours to find that all out... I know...ha!

So they sent her home in a corset wrap sling thing (like, it velcroes around her waist and then velcroes her arm in place there). I'm thankful it was her left arm and not her right. I was just thinking about how thankful I was that my grandmom was basically physically in 100% better shape than she was in January when she came home. When she first got home we had to help her do absolutely everything and we had a neighbor who was a nurse who helped us bathe her in bed and everything. And literally she went from being in absolute agony, not able to move without being carried into a wheelchair to now being basically almost off a cane...well, she was till she went and tripped and hurt her arm! I was all excited about her being able to do her own poop test (well...for the most part-ha!), and now she's in pain all over the place...back to dressing her and helping her in the bathroom.

I just look back and God gave me just such an amazing amount of grace to be able to have the stomach to do so much of what I had to do in January, February, March, because literally, I have the weakest stomach on earth and poopy diapers gross me out and smells make me literally gag at the thought of them...and now the Lord is giving me a different amount of grace in the form of love for my grandmom even when my stomach is weak and it grosses me out...It really was not hard to do what I was doing in the beginning...now it's different, and I'm scared, but I just thank God that He gave me Tues- Weds away to get new strength for what lays ahead, whatever that is...

Oh, and P.S.
In the hospital they always ask the elderly if they live alone. Well, there she is crying to them about how she's all alone...and we are like- No you aren't!!!! She's got nine other people living with her! Goodness...I have to admit that I was annoyed, but my mom and I were also cracking up...I'm sure the whole hospital staff thought we were inconsiderate and abusive laughing at a little old lady lying with a neck brace and sling laying in a hospital bed...
oh she's so deceptive with her sweetness- ha!!!!



Rom 5:1-8
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
And not only [so], but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.


Colossians 1:10-11
That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;


James 1:2-4
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Knowing [this], that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
But let patience have [her] perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

You Might Also Like

4 comments