One Step at a Time

11:45:00 PM

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails. Proverbs 19:20-21
"I believe that, in guiding us, God deals with us as he dealt with the Israelites as He led them out of Egypt.
 The first crossing of the sea was made very easy. The guidance couldn't have been simpler: the east wind blew and divided the sea before the people has to cross. Not so much as a foot was wet, except perhaps by a wind-driven spray. Moreover, it was impossible, as it were, to disobey, since they were pursued by Pharaoh's chariots and horsemen (Exodus 14).
But how different it was on the second occasion.
The priests had to walk into the strong current of a flooded river ad stand still there. What an order to scoff at, and what a sight it would pose to other men! But it was not until they obeyed- without a particle of  visible proof that they were doing right- and carried the ark right into the river, that the waters rolled back before them (Joshua 3).
So it may be for us as we go on with God.
You and I may be called again and again  to walk right into our own "rivers," whatever they may be- to wet our own feet in them. We may be called to do what nobody understands except those to whom the word of guidance is given- and with it, His promise too.
But understand this: the word must comes first, and also His promise. You and I must be sure of what we are called to do, with an inward conviction that absolutely nothing can shake. In my own case, again and again, I have to wet my feet in the water. Only God and those who have to walk in the path know how hard this faith-life can be. But He does know. And when people around us don't hear the words and the voice we have heard, and only say, 'it thunders...,' then He comes near, and we know Him as we have never known Him before...
If only the next step is clear, then the one thing to do it is take it! Don't  pledge your Lord or yourself to any steps beyond what you know. You don't see them yet. 
Once when I was climbing at night, in a forest before there was a made path, I learned what was meant by the words of Psalm 119:105:
You word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
I had only a lantern, and I had to hold it very low or I would certainly have slipped on those rough rocks.
We don't walk spiritually by an electric light, but by a hand held lantern. And a lantern shows only the next steps- not several steps ahead.  Candles in the Dark p.41,43
My Father, there are so many paths I could walk  - so many ways to choose. And there are certain decisions I must make that lead me around and around, until my heart is in confusion. Today I will fix my heart on this truth: When I feel confused there will always come a light, help low so that my feet won't stumble- a sure light that will shine on each step of my path. Thank you Father, that you will speak the counsels of Your word to me."

----Amy Carmichael "I Come Quietly to Meet You: An Intimate Journey in God's Presence" devotional readings arranged by David Hazard

You Might Also Like

0 comments